News from Fieldwork
The workshop for the whole Institute "News from Fieldwork" takes place in 2003. The moderator of the workshop – Tatiana B. Arganat. During sessions, field linguists speak about their expeditions to different parts of the world. Given that the majority of expeditions are to research minor and endangered languages, the problem of the conservation and revival of languages is the primary concern of the workshop. The circle of participants is broad as not only the members of the Academy of Sciences present their reports but also Russian and international counterparts.
The archive of the Workshop announcements is available here.
Seminar of the Working Group on Semiotic Aspects of the Language Origin
The seminar is dedicated to glottogenesis. The speaker and the moderator of the seminar is Aleksandr Barulin, the Senior Researcher of the Comparative Linguistics Section of the RAS, Ph.D.
To see the reports of the precedent meeting follow the link.
The work is mentored by the special interest group "Linguaculturological Studies" (under the direction of PhD, Dr.habil. Mariya L. Kovshova). Seminars take place regularly where the key notions of liguoculturology are discussed, methods of linguoculturological analysis of different linguistic and culturological phenomena are looked for. The investigation is performed by the members of the section and scientists from Russian institutes and universities. The meetings are conducted in the form of a conference and a round table after which the material is then published in official journals.
Seminar "World Poetic Practices"
The seminar is launched by the Center of Linguistic Studies of the World Poetry. The main aim of the seminar to broaden the knowledge of practitioners and researchers, scientists and poets, critics and translators about forms and formats, features of poems in different poetic practices around the globe.
The seminar takes place every month. Announcements are available in the newsfeed.
Location of the event: The Institute of Linguistics, 1 bld. 1 Bolshoy Kislovsky Lane, Conference Hall (2nd floor).
Reports on previous meetings:
(see also the full list of announcements about seminars)
- Frolov (IAAC MSU): "o klassicheskom arabskom stikhe" [About the Classical Arabic Poem] (report on the site CLSWP)
- Polyan (Project "Eshkolot", IAAC MSU): "Stikh na ivrite v Novoye vremya" [Verse in Hebrew in the New Era] (report on the site CLSWP)
- Dreizy (IAAC MSU, the Institute of Philosophy of the RAS): "Klassicheskiy kitayskiy stikh lyuyshiya" [Classical Chinese Verse lushi] (report on the site CLSWP)
- Belousova: "Italianskoye stikhoslozheniye: traditsiya. eksperiment i podrazhaniye antichnostyItalian" [Versification: Tradition, Experiment, and Imitation of Antiquity] (report on the site CLSWP)
- Plungyan: "Frantsuzskaya metrika — evolyutsiya i vzaimodeystviye" [French Metrics — Evolution and Interaction] (report on the site CLSWP)
- Suren Zolyan: "Struktura syuzheta eposa "David Sasunskiy" — invarianty i transformatsii" [The Structure of the Plot of the Epic "David of Sasun" — Invariants and Transformations] (full video of the meeting
- Mikhailova: "Struktura syuzheta eposa "David Sasunskiy" — invarianty i transformatsii" [Irish Verse (senseless and ruthless)] (full video of the meeting)
- Muradova: "Bretonskaya poeziya: ot bardov do verlibra" [Breton Poetry: from Bards to Vers Libre] (full video of the meeting)
- Chelysheva: "Poeziya Sardinii: “…i dyshat pochva i sudba”" [Poetry of Sardinya: "... and breathe the soil and the destiny] (full video of the meeting)
- Yang Xiaobin: "Razvitiye sovremennogo kitayskogo stikha" [The Develpment of the Modern Chinese Verse] (full video of the meeting)
- Parizhskiy: "Poeziya na ivrite v musulmanskoy Ispanii" [Poetry in Hebrew in the Muslim Spain] (full video of the meeting)
- Orekhov: "Bashkirskaya poeziya i sovremennyye metody eye izucheniya" [Bashkir Poetry and Modern methods to Investigate It] (full video of the meeting)
- Sandra Santana: "Sovremennaya ispanskaya poeziya: litsa i formaty" [Modern Spanish Poetry: Persons and Formats] (full video of the meeting)
- Tomash Glants: "Performativnaya poeziya i eye obuslovlennost" [Reformatted Poetry and its Conditionality] (full video of the meeting)
- Falikman: "Chto kognitivnaya nauka znayet i chego ne znayet o vospriyatii poeticheskogo teksta?" [What does Cognitive Science Know and What doesn't Known about the Peception of the Poetic Text?] (full video of the meeting)
- Sichinava: "Ukrainskiy stikh: traditsii i vliyaniya" [Ukrainian Verse: Traditions and Influences] (full video of the meeting)
- Aleksandr Belchevich: "Metrika i strofika v slovenskoy poezii" [Metrics and Stanzaic Prosody in the Slovenian Poetry] (full video of the meeting)
- Round Table in the footsteps of the project "Russkaya poeticheskaya rech: antologiya anonimnykh tekstov" [Russian Poetic Speech: Anthology of Anonymous Texts] (full video of the meeting)
- Fayer: "Slovorazdely v grecheskom i latinskom gekzametre" [Word Division in Greek and Latin Hexameter] (full video of the meeting)
- Polilova: "Ispanskiy stikh: ot romansero do romantikov" [The Spanish Verse: from Romancero to Romanticists] (full video of the meeting)
- Plungyan: "Armyanskaya poeziya" [Armenian Poetry] (full video of the meeting)
- Markelova: "Islandskaya poeziya XX i XXI vekov" [Icelandic Poetry of XX adn XXI Centuries] (full video of the meeting)
- Shmelev: "Sharady: obshchiye pravila i individualnyye trebovaniya" [Charades: General Rules and Individual Requirements] (full video of the meeting)
- Smirnov: "Klassicheskaya kitayskaya poeziya" [Classical Chinese Poetry] (full video of the meeting)
- Tarlinskaya: "Stikh Shekspira i atributsiya dram Vozrozhdeniya na primere tragedii 1590-kh godov "Arden iz Favershema" [Shakespeare's Verse and Attribution of the Renaissance Drama on the Example of the Tragedy of 1590s 'Arden of Faversham"] (full video of the meeting)
Anatolian and Celtic Language Seminar
The seminar is organized by the Section of Anatolian and Celtic languages. It is a platform where projects about English and Celtic languages are presented. Not only members of the Section but also counterparts from other Moscow Universities, students, and post-graduate students specializing in anatomists and celtology take part in the meeting.
To see the news of the seminar follow the link.
Leontiev Center of International Research
The Head of the Center – PhD, Dr.habil, Head of the Section of Ethnopsycholinguistics of the Institute of Linguistics of the RAS, prof. Natalia V. Ufimtseva.
Announcements of meetings and the archive of the news about the activity of the Center may be found here.
For detailed information see the page of the Center.
Seminar "Indigenous Languages and Culture of Traditional Songs"
The seminar is initiated by the Council of Young Scientists of the Institute of Linguistics of the RAS and the Stepanov Science and Education Center of Theory and Practice of Modern Communication. Being intersectional, the organization of the seminar invites to participate all representatives of all units of the Institute and all specialists and those who are interested in autochthonous languages (of Russia and the world) and their musical culture.
The resolution of the UN, which proclaimed that 2019 is the International Year of Indigenous Languages, inspired start this seminar. This problem is topical for the Institute of Linguistics of the RAS, where the members conduct comprehensive research, support, and preserve minor and indigenous languages. Given diverse linguistic, geographical, cultural, and national aspects connected to the research of minor languages, it is supposed to find the vectors which would open new or earlier unseen features. The aim of the seminar is to investigate possible tendencies and typological overlaps between the development of linguistic features and national musical cultures. Such an approach comprising the knowledge of linguistic typology, linguistic geography, historical and comparative linguistics along with culturological methods, methods of art, and music studies, allows obtaining a more versatile understanding of linguistic and musical diachronic and synchronic processes.
Management Group of the Seminar: Sokolova O., Feschenko В., Nikitina S., Sidelcev A., Amelina M.
The scientific seminar comprises theoretical, practical, and educational aspects in its format.
First part – linguistic. The speaker, a specialist is a particular sphere (usually, members of the Institute of Linguistics) gives a brief description of typological features of the indigenous language which will be analyzed; about the national musical culture and its features (dominant musical substrate, the inclusion of musical systems of other cultures, etc); possible influence of the language system (phonetical level, primarily) on the shaping of the tradition in the given language.
Second part – musical. Performing some examples of pieces of musical culture by the lector or the invited musician (singer) or audio-video playback.
Third part – questions and discussion.
Public: Research members of the Institute, young scientists and post-graduate students, invited colleagues from other organizations and those who are interested in the problem.
Frequency of seminars: once in two months, since April, 2019.
The chronicle of the seminar may be found on the site of the Institute.
Interdisciplinary seminar "Communication. Verbal Process. The Crisis of the Language model"
Managers: Vdovichenko A., Тarasov E., Zhuravlev E.
The seminar is organized in frames of the research study of the projects RSCF "The Development of the Communicative Model of the Verbal Process in the Crisis of the Language Model", 2017-2019, manager Vdovichenko A.
The necessity to synthesize scientific approaches and methods to explain the meaning formation in the semiotic process (especially given the verbal component) implies a broad specter of disciplines researched by managers of the project and seminar participants (theoretical linguistics, psychology, history of linguistic studies, philosophy of language).
The general field of the seminar studies reflects current developments in the sphere of analysis and description of verbal data — the modern tendency of the language model absorption by integrative communicative model.
The seminar is intended as a discussion platform for verifying more or less well-established views on verbal data and is addressed to a wide humanitarian community of specialists and interested parties.
The subject of the seminar is made up of oppositions:
- Static vs dynamic model of the verbal process
- Conditionality vs unconditionality of a sign
- Complexity vs isolation of communicative channels
- Automated cliches vs communicative procedures
- Individual vs collective consciousness
- Determinism factors vs cognition and semiosis freedoms
- Conscious vs unconscious in the semiotic process
- Verbality vs nonverbality of consciousness
- Acts of consciousness vs semiotic influences
- Subjective vs intersubjective sources of the meaning formation
- Technique vs communication ethics
- Language vs «Language»
Announcements and reports on the work of the Seminar may be found on the site of the Institute or following the link.
Seminar "Language. Consciousness. Culture: Determinative dependence"
The seminar has been working under the direction of the Section of Psycholinguistics for 11 years.
A new methodological base for ethnopsycholinguistic research begins its development in the Moscow School of psycholinguistics starting from the early 90s. The central problem becomes the research of the language consciousness features while the diversity of the national mind of the communicants is claimed to be the main cause of misunderstanding during intercultural communication.
The psychologically underpinned knowledge that the reflection of the reality in the human mind includes spatial interconnections between emotions and phenomena which differ from one nation to another.
The search for new ways of research led to the formation of the intercultural ontology of the ethnic consciousness analysis (during which the images of consciousness of one ethnic culture are analyzed in the process of contrastive comparison with the images of consciousness of another culture). Consequently, the problem of the formation of the methodology for such contrastive studies appeared to analyze the language and the culture as forms for social consciousness regarded as "image of oneself" (the image of the world of one's ethnic group) and "the image of another".
Ethical culture is regarded as the historically chosen modality of operating and it includes the existence of the general function which is to serve as the main mean of human activity. Consequently, to be cultivated means to be able to make use of different stuff, to use the system of means which enables to act individually and interact (Eduard Markaryan). The term "modality of operation" includes not only skills and abilities but also the whole spectrum of all means of human activities. Its elements are extra-biologically chosen instruments by which actions of people are stimulated, programed, expressed (Lurie, 1997).
During the formation of ethnicity, the image of the world may change, however, there are ethical constants that remain the same and are regarded as the property of the nation (Lurie, 1997).
The seminar work revealed that the current level of language consciousness studies enables not only to describe features of the image of the world created by different nations but also to find and solve methodologically and theoretically difficult issues in the sphere of psycholinguistic research.
28-29 October, 2011 - the round table "Cross-ethnical Communication: Contacts and Conflicts" took place in the frames of the Seminar
Seminar on comparative and historical linguistics and ancient languages
The seminar on comparative and historical linguistics and Ancient languages (manager: Kassian. A, PhD.habil and Popova O., PhD) is dedicated to a broad spectrum of modern comparative linguistics themes and its methodology (from classical to more innovative approaches) and to practical work with the language data. Ancient languages take an important place in comparative and historical linguistics. There are a number of aspects covered: from linguistics studies proper to anthropological and culturological issues.
The archive of news may be found here. Photos from the meeting are also accessible.
Special Interest Group on Theoretical Grammar
Managed by Plugian V. the Special Interest Group on Theoretical Grammar was established in the Institute of LInguistic of the RAS in 2001. Membered of diverse units of the Institute of LInguistics and specialists from other institutes of the RAS and other St.-Petersburg and Moscow universities (including the Institute of Oriental Studies, the Institute of Slavic Studies, the Institute of the Russian Language, the Institute of Linguistic Studies of the RAS, MSU, RGHU, SPSU) work there.
Informal working meetings with Russian and international participants were organized to discuss topical problems of theoretical grammar. Collections of works were published as a result of sessions.
A number of collections and monographs were published under the aegis of or with the active participation of the special interest group.
To see more detailed information follow the link. See also news from meetings.