The Center was founded in 2016 by the decision of the Academic Council of the Institute of Linguistics of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Development of the problems of the relations between language, cognition, and culture.
- Fixation and systematic description of national and cultural specifics of the language consciousness of representatives of different cultures in synchrony and diachrony;
- Development of methods of "cross-cultural education" for prevention of communicative conflicts in cross-cultural communication;
- Study of the content of ethnocultural auto- and heterostereotypes and methods of their linguistic objectification;
- Study of forms of intercultural lacunarity as causes of misunderstanding in different situations during cross-cultural communication;
- Study of mutual influences of the language consciousness of representatives of Russian culture and other ethnic cultures;
- Study of the influence of the surrounding ethnocultural environment on the formation of images of the language consciousness of Russians;
- Identification of potentially conflicting zones in the language consciousness of contacting ethnes and description of the forms of linguistic expression of cross-cultual conflicts.
Research and Education Centre of Intercultural Studies named after Alexey A. Leontiev (REC IS) performs coordinating functions within the framework of the stated problems through regular scientific seminars, development of specific research programs, educating students of the refresher cources, masters, graduate students, and through the publication of research papers of the Center.
Recordings of the meetings of the Centre are available on Youtube.
Center Secretary: Anastasia Polyanskaya