Head of Department of African Languages
Worked at the Institute of Linguistics since 1966.
Graduated from the Uzhhorod National University.
PhD thesis: 'Vowel harmony and phonology of a word' [Singarmonizm i fonologija slova]. Moscow, 1966.
Dr.habil. thesis: 'Categorial typology and linguistic type' [Kategorial'naja tipologija i yazykovoj tip]. Moscow, 1993.
Was a prominent specialist of language theory and typology, African linguistics, sociolinguistics, and theory of language teaching.
Wrote more than 320 research works.
The research done by Vladimir Vinogradov have made a significant contribution to the study of the problems of the language situation and language policy in African countries. He developed a unique approach to sociolinguistic typology that allows to describe difficult ethnolinguistic situations in variegated socio-cultural conditions. He made a significant contribution to the research of poorly studied African languages and dialects. The problems of general, Russian, and African phonology, as well as problems of phonological basics of teaching a foreign language took a special place in his research career. His monograph 'Linguistics and language teaching' (2003) is well-known in Russia and in other countries. A broad range of his research work was recognized both in our country and abroad.
He was a Head of the Department of African languages for more than 25 years. Regular publications of multi-volumed fundamental work called 'Basics of African linguistics' was the result of the work at the Department, and it was supported by Russian Foundation for Humanities.
Was awarded the State Prize of the Russian Federation in the field of research for creating 'Linguistic encyclopedic dictionary' (1995).
Was a deputy chief editor of journals 'Issues of Cognitive Linguistics', a co-editor of the 'Problems of philology' journal, a member of editorial staff of 'Problems of Linguistics' and 'Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Sciences: literature and language' journals, a member of editorial boards of 'Journal of Psycholinguistics' and 'Political linguistics' journals.
In 2000-2004, was a member of the Council on Russian language under the Government of the Russian Federation.
Since 2005, was a member of Interdepartmental Committee on Russian language that was established by order of the Ministry of Education and Science from 02.12.2004.
Was a coordinator of the Department for Historical and Philological Studies of RAS programs 'Text in interaction with the sociocultural environment: levels of historical, literary, and linguistic interpretation' (2007-2010) and 'Language and literature in the context of cultural dynamics' (2012-2014).
Educational work and work as an academic supervisor
Since 1969, Viktor Vinogradov had been responsible for graduate students and had also been reading lectures at the Institute of Linguistics of RAS and other universities. He prepared 26 Candidates and 3 Doctors of Philology altogether.
Institute of Linguistics of RAS (since 1969): had been in charge of graduate students and doctoral candidates and had prepared 15 Candidates and 2 Doctors of Philology. Occasionally he gave lectures to the graduate students of the Institute of Linguistics. For instance, in 2013, he was giving courses 'Phonetics and Phonology' and 'Syntax'.
Pushkin State Russian Language Institute (1988-2001): was giving general courses 'Phonetics and Phonology of the Russian language', 'Introduction to Linguistics', as well as a specialized course 'Introduction to Typology'. He developed and then was giving a specialized course 'Basics of contrastive linguistics'. Was in charge of preparing 5 graduate students and one doctoral candidate.
Sholokhov Moscow State University for Humanities (1993-2001): was giving courses 'Introduction to Linguistics', 'General Linguistics', 'Phonetics and Phonology of the Russian language', a specialized course 'Syntactics: actants in syntax'. He was also giving all his linguistic courses to distant learners of the University (Derbent, 1998-2000).
Moscow State Linguistic University (1998-1999): was giving a course 'General linguistics'.
Omsk State Pedagogical University (2000-2014): was reading lectures and preparing graduate students.
He prepared 6 Candidates of Philology, including the ones in recent years.
- Natalya Ryadovaya. PhD thesis 'Comparative analysis of argumentative strategies of political discourse in a crisis situation (based on speeches given by Russian and American presidents)'. Omsk, 2013.
- Elena Priytenko. PhD thesis 'Functions of proper names in the novel "In Search of Lost Time" by Marcel Proust in original version and in translation into Russian'. Omsk, 2013.
- Elena Kostrubina. PhD thesis 'Hyperconcept FAMILY/HOME in Russian and English linguocultures'. Omsk, 2011.
- Ekaterina Girnyak. PhD thesis 'Linguocognitive analysis of advertising texts: a comparative aspect (based on Chinese and Russian advertisement)'. Omsk, 2011.
He also gave short courses at other universities, such as Belgorod State University (2008), Irkutsk National Research Technical University (2008), and Biysk Pedagogical State University (2008).
Grants (since 2008):
projects within programs of the RAS Presidium and Department for Historical and Philological Studies of RAS
- 'Areal factors of variability and stability of African languages' within the program of the RAS Presidium 'Adaptation of peoples and cultures to natural, social, and industrial changes', 2006-2008 (participant)
- 'Dynamics of folklore tradition in unwritten communities and communities having recently acquired a written language: linguistic and sociocultural aspects' within the program of the RAS Presidium 'Adaptation of peoples and cultures to natural, social, and industrial changes', 2006-2008
projects within Russian Foundation for Humanities grants
- No14-04-00488 'Language contacts in Africa', 2014-2016 (participant)
- No14-04-16066 'Basics of African linguistics. Diachronic processes and genetic relations of African languages', 2014 (participant)
- No10-04-00269 'Diachronic processes and genetic relations of African languages', 2010-2012 (participant)
- No10-04-12125 'Database "Languages of the world": information Internet resources for typological, descriptive, and areal research', 2010-2011.
- No09-04-16166 'Basics of African linguistics. Syntax of nominal and verbal groups', 2010 (participant)
Viktor Vinogradov died on the night of September 17 to 18, in 2016.
- Issledovanija po grammatike afrikanskix jazykov. 2-e izd. ispr. i dop. [Research on grammar of African languages. Second Edition Enlarged and Improved]. Moscow – Kaluga, 2011. 314 p.
- Sociolingvističeskaja tipologija. 2-e izd. [Sociolinguistic typology. Second edition]. Moscow, 2008.
- Sociolingvističeskaja tipologija. 3-e izd [Sociolinguistic typology. Third edition]. Moscow, 2009.
- Sociolingvističeskaja tipologija. 4-e izd [Sociolinguistic typology. Fourth edition]. Moscow, 2014.
- Issledovanija po grammatike afrikanskix jazykov. [Research on grammar of African languages]. Moscow, 2006.
- Lingvistika i obučenie jazyku [Linguistics and language teaching]. Moscow, 2003.
- Kratkij slovar' lingvističeskix terminov [Brief dictionary of linguistic terms]. Moscow, 1996.
- Kratkij slovar' lingvističeskix terminov. 2-e izd. [Brief dictionary of linguistic terms. Second edition]. Moscow, 2003.
- Sociolingvističeskaja tipologija (Zapadnaja Afrika) [Sociolinguistic typology (Western Africa)]. Moscow, 1984
- Lingvističeskie aspekty obučenija jazyku. Vyp. 2 [Linguistic aspects of language teaching. Second publication]. Moscow, 1976.
- Lingvističeskie aspekty obučenija jazyku. Vyp. 1 [Linguistic aspects of language teaching. First publication]. Moscow, 1972.
- Konsonantizm i vokalizm russkogo jazyka. Practičeskaja fonologija [Consonantism and vocalism of the Russian language. Practical phonology]. Moscow, 1970.
- Osnovy afrikanskogo jazykoznanija. Diaxroničeskie processy i genetičeskie otnošenija jazykov [Basics of African linguistics. Diachronic processes and genetic relations of African languages]. Moscow, 2014.
- Osnovy afrikanskogo jazykoznanija. Sintaksis imennyx i glagol'nyx grupp [Basics of African linguistics. Syntax of nominal and verbal groups]. Moscow, 2010.
- Osnovy afrikanskogo jazykoznanija. Leksičeskie podsistemy. Slovoobrazovanie [Basics of African linguistics. Lexical subsystems. Word formation]. Moscow, 2008.
- Osnovy afrikanskogo jazykoznanija. Morfemika. Morfonologija [Basics of African linguistics]. Moscow, 2000.
- Jazyk afrikanskogo fol'klora. Afrikanskaja skazka II [Language of African folklore. African tales II]. Moscow, 1997.
- Osnovy afrikanskogo jazykoznanija. Imennye kategorii [Basics of African linguistics. Nominal categories]. Moscow, 1997.
- Jazyki mira. Problemy jazykovoj variativnosti [Languages of the world. Problems of linguistic variability]. Moscow, 1990.
- Sravnitel'no-istoričeskoe izučenie jazykov raznyx semej. Rekonstrukcija na otdel'nyx jazykovyx urovnjax [Comparative and historical study of different language families. Reconstruction on separate levels]. Moscow, 1990.
- Sravnitel'no-istoričeskoe izučenie jazykov raznyx semej. Teorija lingvističeskoj rekonstrukcii [Comparative and historical study of different language families. Theory of linguistic reconstruction]. Moscow, 1988.
- Afrikanskaja skazka. Materialy k issledovaniju yazyka fol'klora [African tale. Materials for studying language of folklore]. Moscow, 1984.
- Teoretičeskie osnovy klassifikacii yazykov. Problemy rodstva [Theoretical basics of language classification. Problems of kinship]. Moscow, 1982.
- Morfonologija i morfologija klassov slov v jazykax Afriki [Morphonology and morphology of word families in African languages]. Moscow, 1979.
- Problemy jazykovoj politiki v stranax Tropičeskoj Afriki [Problems of language policy in Tropical African countries]. Moscow, 1977.
- Principy opisanija jazykov mira [Principles of describing languages of the world]. Moscow, 1976.
- Jazykovaja situacija v stranax Afriki [Linguistic situation in African countries]. Moscow, 1975.
- Obščee jazykoznanie. Metody lingvističeskogo issledovanija [General linguistics. Methods of linguistic research]. Moscow, 1973.
- Historical morphemics and unit-order typology // Language typology 1987: Systemic balance in language. Amsterdam; Philadelphia, 1990.
- D. Westermann und die Entwiklung der Afrikanistik // 150 Jahre Norddeutsche Mission. Bremen, 1986 [сo-author: I. Herms].
- Language and society in Africa: a sociolinguistic typology // Studien zur nationalsprachlichen Entwiklung in Afrika. Berlin, 1982
Reports (since 2008)
- Strange kinds of nominal classification in some West African languages // WOCAL6 — Cologne. The World Congress of African Linguistics. Köln, 2009.