Senior Researcher, Department of African Languages
Since 1966 Irina Aksyonova had been working in the Department of African Languages of the Institute of Linguistics of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 1953 she graduated from Moscow State Linguistic University as a German language teacher.
From 1954 to 1960 she worked at the Foreign Languages Publishing House, where she began to study the Swahili language. Since 1960, she worked as an editor of broadcasting to African countries at the State Committee for Radio and Television.
From 1961 to 1965 she studied at the graduate school of the Institute for African Studies of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
Irina Aksyonova is the author of numerous comparative works on the Bantu language family and its individual languages. She is the most prominent specialist in the Bantu verb and syntax.
- Irina Aksyonova. 1973. Semantiko-sintaksicheskie kharakteristiki napravitel'noi formy glagola v yazykakh bantu. [Semantic and syntactic characteristics of the directional form of the verb in the Bantu languages.]. PhD thesis, Moscow: the Institute for African Studies of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
- Irina Aksyonova, Irina Toporova. 1981. Teksty kuriya. Teksty gusii // Mladopis'mennye yazyki Afriki. Materialy k leksicheskomu opisaniyu. [Curia texts. The texts of Kisii // Languages of Africa received writing in recent times. Materials for the lexical description.]. M.: Nauka.
- Irina Aksyonova, Irina Toporova. 1990. Vvedenie v bantuistiku. [Introduction to Bantu Studies.]. M.: Nauka.
- Irina Aksyonova, Irina Toporova. 1994. Yazyk kuriya. [Curia language.]. M.: Eastern literature.
- Irina Aksyonova. 1997. Kategorii vida, vremeni i nakloneniya v yazykakh bantu. [Categories of appearance, time and mood in the Bantu languages.]. M.: Nauka.
- Irina Aksyonova, Irina Toporova. 2002. Grammatika yazyka akva. [Aqua language grammar.]. M.: URSS.
- Irina Aksyonova, Irina Toporova. 2005. Grammatika yazyka laadi. [Laadi grammar.]. M.: Humanities.
- Irina Aksyonova, Irina Toporova. 2008. Grammatika yazyka gusii. [Kisii grammar.]. M.: Academia.