Head of the Section of Caucasian Languages (now Department of Caucasian Languages)
Soviet linguist, specialist in Dagestanian languages, esperantologist, Head of Section of Caucasian languages of the Institute of Lingustics at the Academy of Sciences of the Soviet Union.
In World War II
September 1–11, 1941, he took part in the defense of Leningrad outside the town of Krasnoye Selo as a platoon commander of the 1st Special brigade of the marines. On september 11, he was seriously wounded by a shrapnel and was later recovering in Leningrad. Since February 22, 1942, he was staying at the Osinovets Naval Facilities of the Ladoga military flotilla, including the Shlisselburg Fortress.
Head of the chemistry service of the 302nd Separate gun batallion. A senior lieutenant, then a captain. In 1943, he took part in the operation for breaking the Siege of Leningrad. June 20–25, 1944, he took part in the Björkö forcible entry operation organized by the Baltic Fleet. In 1945, during the final stages of the war and after its end, he was in Ventspils, Latvia. In 1946, he was promoted to the rank of major and demobilized.
- Medal "For the Defence of Leningrad" (1943)
- Order of the Red Star (1944)
- Medal "For the Victory over Germany in the Great Patriotic War 1941–1945" (1945)
We want to thank Lyudmila Lopatina (Evgeny Bokaryov's daughter) and Nikolay Lopatin (Evgeny Bokaryov's grandson) for providing the photographs, as well as Isa Abdulaev and Muhammad Magomedov for correcting the captions for group photos.