Leading Researcher, Research Center on Ethnic and Language Relations
employed at the Institute since 2019
Erzhen Vladimirovna Khilkhanova graduated from the Department of Romanic and German languages and literatures of the Faculty of Philology, Lomonosov Moscow State University in 1991. Having finished the post-graduate school at the MSU, she defended the PhD thesis "Discourse of the "Bild" Newspaper as an Object of Linguistic Research". The degree of Dr. habil. is conferred after the defense of her second PhD thesis "Factors of Language Shift and Maintenance of Minority Languages: Discoursive and Sociolinguistic Analysis (the Case of Ethnic Buryatia)" (2010).
Erzhen V. Khilkhanova worked at the Buryat State University, the East-Siberian State Institute of Culture. She has teaching experience at universities abroad: at the Ruhr University (Bochum, German), at the Ca'Foscari University (Venice, Italy).
Academic interests of Erzhen V. Khilkhanova are mainly related to research on language policy and language situations in areas of language contacts employing sociolinguistic, discoursive, and ethnopsycholinguistic research methods; research on regional language consciousness and language attitudes, code mixing and code switching, the interconnection of language and identity, language and culture in the multicultural environment, including migration contexts.
Erzhen V. Khilkhanova has over 100 scientific works including scientific monographs and articles published in Russian and Western scientific journals.
Erzhen V. Khilkhanova possesses a significant fundraising experience. She conducted scientific projects in the field of social anthropology at the Max Planck Institute (Germany, 2007 and 2016), the Ruhr University (Germany, 2002), the George Washington University (USA, 2002-2003). She performed as the head of a research team for the grant project of the International Association for Humanities "Border and language consciousness (on example of language situation and speech behavior of people in Transbaikalia)" (2012-2013).
Khilkhanova coordinates the Discussion and Analytical Club on language policy at the Institute of Linguistics, RAS; is the member of the editorial boards of scientific journals "Sociolinguistics" (the Institute of Linguistics, RAS), "Polylinguality and Transcultural Practices" (Peoples' Friendship University of Russia), the member of the Dissertation Council Д 212.022.05, speciality "Language Theory" at the Buryat State University. Also, she performed as an expert at the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (competition of fundamental research projects in linguistics and literary studies, regional round, 2018), an expert at the competition for the award of the State Prize of the Republic of Buryatia in science and technology (2016), nomination "The Humanities".
Erzhen V. Khilkhanova combines research and pedagogical activities. She developed curricula and taught courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels: "Sociolinguistics", "Ethnolinguistics", "Business English", and others. She is the author and co-author of 9 manuals in these disciplines.
- Yazykovoye soznaniye i yazykovyye ustanovki zhiteley prigranichnykh regionov vostoka Rossii (na primere Respubliki Buryatiya i Zabaykalskogo kraya). [Language Consciousness and Language Settings of Residents of Border Areas of the East of Russia (example of the Buryatia Republic and the Trans-Baikal Territory).] / E. Khilkhanova, G. Dyrkheyeva, L. Lyubimova, D. Sunduyeva ; East Siberian State University; the Institute of Mongolian, Buddhist and Tibetan Studies, Siberian Branch of the RAS. — М.: "Science" — Oriental Literature, 2016. — p. 174 — ISBN 978-5-02-039778-1
- Buryatsko-russkiy bilingvizm: psikholingvisticheskiy aspekt. [Buryat-Russian Bilingualism: Psycholinguistic Aspect.] / Dashinimayeva P., Dyrkheyeva G., Zhalsanova Zh., Khilkhanova E. Ulan-Ude: Ed. Buryat Scientific Center Siberian Branch of the RAS, 2010. – p. 166.
- Faktory kollektivnogo vybora yazyka i etnokulturnaya identichnost u sovremennykh buryat (diskurs-analiticheskiy podkhod). [Factors of the Language Shift and Conservation in Minor Languages: Discoursive and Socio-linguistic Analysis (on the material of the language situation in ethnical Buryatia).] Ulan-Ude: Publishing and Printing house, ESSIC VSGIK, p. 2007. - 203
- Diskurs pressy kak obyekt lingvisticheskogo issledovaniya. [The Discourse of Media as the Object of Linguistic Research. ] Ulan-Ude: BSU publishing house, 1999. -p.112.
- Lyudi v yazykovoy politike: teoriya i praktika diskursivnogo povorota v sotsiolingvistike (na primere Rossii i Zapadnoy Evropy). [People in the Language Politics: Theory and Practice of the Discoursive Shift in Sociolinguistics (example of Rusia and Western Europe).] // Acta Linguistica Petropolitana. 2020. Vol. 16.3. P. 758–817. DOI 10.30842/
- Changing attitudes toward indigenous languages in Russia: some evidence from the North // J. Sib. Fed. Univ. Humanities. Soc. Sci. 2020. 13(12), 1937–1951. DOI: 10.17516/1997- 1370-0696.
- Novyye tendentsii po otnosheniyu k mnogoyazychiyu i minoritarnym yazykam v globalnom masshtabe. [New Tendencies towards Multilingualism and Minor Languages on a Global Scale.] // Bulletin of the Volgograd State University. series 2. Linguistics. — 2020. — Vol. 19, № 4. — P. 64–75. DOI: 10.15688/jvolsu2.2020.4.6
- A Sociolinguistic Study of Language Attitudes Among the Buriat and Russian Youth in the Republic of Buriatiia // Sibirica. 2019. Vol. 18 (2). – p. 27-55. DOI: https://doi.org/10.3167/sib.2019.180203
- Sotsiolingvisticheskaya kontseptualizatsiya ponyatiy yazykovoye soznaniye i yazykovyye ustanovki v aspekte dvuyazychiya. [Sociolinguistic Conceptualization of Notions Language Consciousness and Language Settings in the Aspect of Bilingualism.] // Problems of Psycholinguistics. М., 2017. 3 (33). – p. 142-155.
- Subjective Factors of Language Vitality: Language Attitudes of the Buryat Ethnic Group // Language Empires in Comparative Perspective. Series Koloniale und Postkoloniale Linguistik (PKL/PCL). Ed. by Christel Stolz. Berlin: de Gryuter, 2015. 265-285.
- Yazykovyye ustanovki molodezhi Buryatii: sistema obrazovaniya. [Language Settings of Adolescents of Buryatia: Educational System.] // Syberian Philological Journal, № 3, 2014. p. 218-224.
- Etnicheskaya identichnost kak subyektivnyy faktor kollektivnogo vybora yazyka: teoretiko-metodologicheskiy aspekt.[Ethnical Identity as a Subjective Factor of the Collective Coice of the Language: Theorico-Methodological Aspet.] // Syberian Philological Journal. - № 2. – Novosibirsk, 2008. p. 133-140.
- Managing Cultural Differences in International Projects // Journal of International Business and Economics, Vol. II, No. 1, 2004, pp. 267-274. Anbari, F., Khilkhanova, E., Romanova, M., and Umpleby, S.
- Language and Ethnic Identity of Minorities in Post-Soviet Russia: The Buryat Case Study // Journal of Language, Identity, and Education, 3 (2), 85-100. – New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 2004. - p. 85-100.
- The Changing Dynamics of Language and Ethnic Identity Link by Russian Minorities: the Buryat Case Study // Journal of Eurasian Research. – Nizhniy Novgorod, 2003, Vol. 2, No. 1. - p. 26-30, 39.