Leading Researcher, Department of Applied Linguistics
Nadezhda Riabtseva is a specialist in applied, theoretical, and Germanic linguistics, translation studies, logical analysis of language, terminology, cultural studies, lexicography, metalinguistics, and digital humanities.
Nadezhda Riabtseva has been working in the Applied Linguistics Department since 1974. N. Riabtseva graduated from the Faculty of Translation, Applied Linguistics Department, Moscow State Linguistic University (1974), specialisation – Applied Linguistics and Foreign Language. She obtained Ph.D. for the thesis Semantic and syntactic principles of formalizing the translation of compound terms (based on word composition in German scientific and technical texts) (1980, specialisations: Applied linguistics, Germanic languages). PhD, Dr.habil. degree she obtained for the thesis Theoretical and lexicographic description of scientific communication: A cross-linguistic perspective (1996, specialisation Theory of language). 1976 – 2004 – Academic Secretary of the Applied Linguistics Department, Institute of Linguistics, Russian Academy of Sciences.
1975 – 1983 – Academic Secretary of the Task Group for Interlinguistics (supervised by Prof. Mohamet Isaev), 1983 – 1996 – Academic Secretary of the Task Group for Translation Studies (supervised by Prof. Alexander Schweitzer), 1989 – 1995 – Academic secretary of Task Group for logical analysis of language (supervised by corresponding member of the Russian Academy of Sciences Nina Arutyunova), since 1989 Nadezhda Riabtseva has been supervising postgraduates and doctoral students.
Since 1986, N. Riabtseva has been participating in the development of the database "Languages of the world'. She acts as an opponent in the presentations of Ph.D. and Dr.habil. theses on the specialisations "Applied and mathematical linguistics", "Theory of language", "Germanic languages", "Historical and comparative linguistics (translation studies)", "cultural studies", etc.
N. Riabtseva has reviewed more than 150 articles, dissertations, abstracts, monographs and research projects, as well as Ph.D. and Dr.habil. theses. In 2004 she became the Head of Applied Linguistics Department.
She is the author of more than 190 scientific publications, including personal and collective monographs (e. g.: N. Riabtseva. Information Processes and Machine Translation: The Linguistic Perspective (1986); N. Riabtseva. Language and human intelligence (2004), etc. The list also includes several encyclopedic articles in the yearbooks of the Great Soviet Encyclopedia and in the Great Russian Encyclopedia. N. Riabtseva was also the editor and co-editor of more than 20 monographs, scientific papers and conference abstracts books, of the books on logical analysis of language, applied linguistics, translation studies, etc. The total number of academic papers exceeds 450.
Since 1998 she is an expert at the Russian Science Foundation and the Russian Foundation for Humanities. In 2007 – 2013 – she provided professional expertise on English language textbooks for secondary schools.
Member of the dissertation councils D.002.006.03 (since 1998 – Academic Secretary, since 2002 – Deputy Chairman) and D 002.006.02 (since 2009).
Since 2009, N. Riabtseva has been a member of the editorial board of the journal “Linguistics and Language Teaching” (Anthology of academic articles. Web publication of the Russian Academy of Sciences).
N. Riabtseva took part in more than 60 international and Russian conferences on: machine translation, scientific and technical terminology, language for special purposes, translation studies and teaching foreign languages, computer technology, philosophy of science, cognitive linguistics, logical analysis of language, etc.
N. Riabtseva also delivered lectures on machine translation (Germany, 1989), conceptual analysis (Italy, 1991), phraseology (the USA, 2000), translation studies, etc.
She has many times been a participant or leader of scholarly projects supported by The Russian Foundation for Basic Research, Russian Foundation for Humanities, and Soros Foundation. She was awarded the State Scholarship given to outstanding scientists of the Russian Federation (2001 – 2003) and the 850th Anniversary of Moscow medal.
At present, N. Riabtseva is the supervisor of the Department’s complex and cross-disciplinary research on Linguistic Knowledge Mining and Processing: Topical Applied Approaches (2019–2021).
- Nadezhda Riabtseva. English for Scientific Purposes. Guide to Academic Writing. Combinatory Dictionary of Scientific Usage/ A New Active Reference. / N. Riabtseva – Moscow, Flinta. 1st edition – 1999, 7th edition – 2019. 600 p. — ISBN 978-5-89349-167-8 (FLINTA), 978-5-02-022583-1 (Nauka). Naučnaja reč’ na anglijskom jazyke. Rukovodstvo po naučnomu izloženiju. Slovar’ oborotov i sočetaemosti občšenaučnoj leksiki: Novyj slovar’-spravočnik aktivnogo tipa (na anglijskom jazyke). (In English)
- Nadezda Riabtseva. Prikladnye problemy perevodovedenija. Lingvističeskij aspekt. [Applied problems of translation studies. A linguistic perspective] / N. Rjabceva – Moscow, 2013. 224 p. — ISBN 978-5-9765-1070-8 (FLINTA), 978-5-02-037430-0 (Nauka). UDK: 81.25.
- N. Riabceva, P. Švedov, I. Balakirev, Ju.Orlova, N. Krivulja. Editor – B. Maškovcev. «Slovar’-spravočnik sovremennyx animacionnyx terminov». [Animation Glossary], 2015, 256 p., ISBN 978-5-9710-1762-2. Format: 60x90/16, pervyj tiraž 700 èkz. RINC.
- Riabtseva N. Translation as a professional and creative activity: A metalinguistic perspective // Across Languages and Cultures. Volume 13, Number 1/June 2012, ISSN 1585-1923, p. 1—12
- Riabtseva N. Across languages and academic cultures // N. Bragina, A. Žukova, ISBN 978-5-98269-176-7, 2018. p. 247-248.
- Riabtseva N. "Construction grammar" and academic communication: a cross-linguistic perspective // Scientific dialog. 2019. № 6, p. 50-71. DOI: https://doi.org/10.24224/2227-1295-2019-6-50-71.
- Ioanesjan E., Riabceva N., Kovšova M., Dronov P., Orlova O. Predstavlenie èmocional’noj sfery čeloveka na materiale raznyx jazykov. [Human emotions in different languages], 2020. ISBN 978-5-907417-00-7, 244 p.
- Nadezhda Riabtseva. Kognitivnoe modelirovanie perevodčeskoj dejatel’nosti // Cognitive Modeling in Linguistics. Proceedings of the XI International Conference. September 7–14, 2009, Constanța, Moscow, Kazan, 2009, р. 350–368.
- Nadezhda Riabtseva. States of Consciousness According to Linguistic Data: A Cognitive Perspective // Cognitive Modeling in Linguistics. Proceedings of the XII International Conference. September 7–14, 2010, Croatia, Dubrovnik, 2010, р. 239–242.
Grants (2008 – present time):
- Grant of the Russian Foundation for Humanities. The Horizons of Contemporary Linguistics: Tradition and Innovation. Editor – Nadezhda Riabtseva. 49 p. 2009.
- Grant of the Russian Foundation for Humanities. Dictionary of current terms in animation, 2012–2014.
- Expert of Russian Foundation for Humanities (since 1998)
- Expert of Russian Science Foundation (since 2013)