Leading Researcher, Section of Applied Linguistics
Senior Researcher, RAS Expert, Specialist of Onomastics
In 1997-2001 studied at the graduate school of the V.V. Vinogradov Russian Language Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences. In 2002 she got Ph.D thesis "Onomastics of the Ryazhskaya Zasechnaya Line (XVI-XVII centuries)" in the specialty 10.02.01 - Russian language. In 2009-2012 she studied in doctoral studies at the Russian Language Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences. In 2018 she got Dr.habil thesis "Linguistic Problems of Regional Onomastics in a Historical Perspective (Based on the Material of Ryazan Toponymy and Anthroponymy)" in the specialty 10.02.21 - Applied and Mathematical Linguistics. Since 2012 she has been working at the Institute of Linguistics of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Juliana Gordova is the author of more than 140 scientific publications on Russian onomastics, theory and methods of onomastic research; the author of idea and head of the project of the unified information system "Toponymy of Russia" (funded by research project RHSF, 2014).
Juliana Gordova is the principal investigator and participant of grant researches: "Toponymic Atlas of the Tambov Region" (principal investigator, RFBR grant, 2020-2022), "Historical and geographical evolution of the landscapes of the North-Western Black Sea region" (participant, RFBR grant, 2019-2021, supervisor A.A Herzen), "Russian and foreign old maps of the Northern Black Sea region: historical, geographical and geopolitical analysis" (participant, grant of the Russian Geographical Society, 2020-2021, supervisor A. Herzen).
She manages scientific leadership in the postgraduate study of the Institute of Linguistics of the Russian Academy of Sciences, specialty 10.02.21 "Applied and Mathematical Linguistics".
Since 2013 Juliana Gordova has been a member of the City Interdepartmental Commission on the Naming of Territorial Units, Streets, Metro Stations, Organizations and Other Facilities of Moscow of the Department of Cultural Heritage of Moscow of the Government of Moscow.
Since 2014 she has been a member of the Toponymic Commission of the Moscow City Branch of the Russian Geographical Society.
For 20 years she has been working to popularize Onomastics Study; engage in creative activities. Juliana Gordova is complier, editor and participant of poetry collections; author and performer of her own songs; co-founder and participant of "Cherry Orchard" group (romances and original author's compositions).
- Onomastičeskaja rekonstrukcija: Poetapnoe vossozdanie istorii ryazancoi toponimii i antroponimii. 2021, [Onomastic reconstruction: Step-by-step reconstruction of the history of Ryazan toponymy and anthroponymy.]. M.: LENAND. 488 s. ISBN 978-5-9710-7255-3
In the monograph investigates the problem of reconstruction the onomastic situation of a local territory in antiquity. Based on the material of Ryazan toponymy and anthroponymy, the possibilities of restoration the states of onomastic system in certain historical periods from extant remains are shown. For the reconstruction, the information from early written monuments, results of linguistic, historical, archeological and geographical researches and data of toponymic maps. In conclusion, the model of possible development of onomastics of Ryazan land from antient times to 16th century is presented. The publication is addressed to specialists in onomastics, linguistic geography, dialectology, ethnography, history, archeology, geography and anyone interested in the origin of proper names.
- Aktual'nye sposoby obrabotki i predstavlenija onomastičeskikh dannyx: 2009—2019. 2020. [Actual methods of processing and presentation of onomastic data: 2009-2019.]. M.: LENAND. pp128. ISBN 978-5-9710-7254-6
Why is full catalog of toponyms necessary? How to create an onomastic map yourself? Why is a unified database on Russian toponymy important? All answers to these questions and others related to the methodology of onomastic studies can be found in this book. It informs a reader with ideas and technologies that are relevant in Russian onomastics in 2009-2019, and with the objectives and the most important tasks of modern science: the creation of regional toponymic catalogs, atlases, databases and the integration of regional knowledge.
The work investigates the relevant problems of regional onomastics associated with the processing and presentation of onomastic data: 1) structuring of onomastic material and the creation of a regional catalog of proper names; 2) mapping of onomastic material and creation of a toponymic atlas of the region; 3) the integration of regional toponymic knowledge and the creation of a unified database on toponymy of Russia. The development of toponymic catalog, an atlas and unified database taking into account the modern technology and experience of Russian onomastics for 2009-2019 are proposed. The implementation of projects in each region of Russia is considered as a topical task of modern science and the integration of regional knowledge as the most important task of Russian onomastics.
The book is addressed to novice scientists and specialists in regional onomastics.
- Toponimičeskii atlas Ryazancoi oblasti. 2015. [Toponymic atlas of the Ryazan region.]. M.: Nauka. 72,  s.: karty, tekst, ukaz. (ok. 670 nazv.).
Toponymic atlas of Ryazan region is the first publication of this type in Russia. The atlas presents a series of thematic maps showing the distribution of the main types of substratum toponymy of the Middle (Ryazan) Poochye: Finno-Ugric, Baltic, of unknown origin. The maps show hydronyms, econyms and 29 types of microtoponyms and their ranges. All in all, 58 toponymic maps are shown in the publication. The Atlas contains detailed comments on maps and analytical materials.
The publication is addressed to specialists of onomastics, linguistic geography, ethnography and archeology. The atlas may be of interest to a wide range of readers interested in toponymy.
- Toponimija Ryaznckoi Zasečnoi cherty // Ryazanckii etnografičeskii vestnik. 2006. [Toponymy of the Ryazhskaya Zasechnaya Line // Ryazan Ethnographic Bulletin.] Ryazan: Regional Scientific and Methodological Center of Folk Art.157 p.
The work investigates the historical toponymy of the Ranova river basin. The names of settlements, water bodies, fields, forests, ravines, wastelands, churches, monasteries known in this territory until the end of the 17th century, are presented. The history of formation of region's toponymy, the origin of the physical-geographical, anthroponymic, socio-economic, "cultic" character, as well as the names associated with the Ryazhskaya Zasechnaya line is considered. For linguists, historians and ethnographers.
- Ryazanckaya antroponimija: Sobstvennye imena žitelei Pekhleckogo stana (XVI vek) // Materialy i issledovanija po ryazanckomu kraevedeniju. T. 20. 2009. [Ryazan anthroponymy: Proper names of the inhabitants of the Pekhletsky camp (XVI century) // Materials and research on Ryazan local history. T. 20.] Ryazan': Uzoroch'e. 50 p.
The book examines proper names of of the population of the Pekhletsky stan. The object of the study is personal names and nicknames, naming by father and patrimonial family naming, anthroponymic formulas stated in the Ryazan written monuments of the 16th century.
The book is addressed to specialists of onomastics, teachers, graduate students, students of philological faculties and everyone who is interested in the history of Russian anthroponymy.
- Toponimija Ryazanckoi oblasti (spisok geografičeskikh nazvanii). Chast' I. Sovremennaja toponimija. Vypusk I. Territorija basseina reki Proni. 2010. [Toponymy of the Ryazan region (list of geographical names). Part I. Modern toponymy. Issue I. Territory of the Prony River Basin.] Ryazan: «Ryazan. Mir», 2010. pp 72.
The compilation of full list of geographical names of Russian regions is the most urgent task of modern onomastics. The first part of regional topological catalog of Ryazan region presents modern geographical names related to the territory of the Prony river basin. The list includes the names of localities: cities, countrysides, villages, settlements (econyms); water bodies: rivers, lakes, ponds, channels, etc. (hydronyms); as well as the names of forests, natural boundaries, ravines, upper reaches and other small objects (microtoponyms).
For specialists of onomastics and ethnographs.
- Geografičeskie nazvanija Ryaznskogo rajona Ryazanskoi oblasti. Kratkii toponimičeskii slovar'.2007. [Geographical names of the Ryazhsky district of the Ryazan region. Concise toponymic dictionary.] Ryazan: Uzorochye. pp 40.
The aim of this vocabulary is to popularize of scientific knowledge. It investigates the origin of 90 geographical names of Ryazhsky district of the Ryazan region. Among them are the names of water bodies and settlements, known today or in the recent past.
The publication is addressed to all people interested in toponymy.
- Slovar' familii Ryazanskoi oblasti // Ryazanskii etnografičeskii vestnik. Ryazan': Ryazanskii obl. naučno-metodičeskii centr narodnogo tvorčestva. 1991-. 2010 [Dictionary of the names of the Ryazan region // Ryazan ethnographic bulletin. Ryazan: Ryazan region. scientific and methodological center of folk art,.]. Ryazan. Vyp. 42. pp 5–78.
The vocabulary investigates the origin of 300 surnames of Ryazan region. The vocabulary examines the etymology of surnames, describes a history and geography of it, reports information about the carriers living in the past and our contemporary.
The publication is addressed to specialists and to wide range of readers.