The Research Center on Ethnic and Language Relations of the Institute of Linguistics of the Russian Academy of Sciences is pleased to announce the conference “Trends in the Linguistic Development of Multiethnic Countries: from Forecasting to Language Planning”, which will be held at the Institute of Linguistics (Russian Academy of Sciences), Moscow, on 6–7 December 2023.
Today, modern sociolinguistics and related social sciences are expected to respond to various theoretical and practical challenges arising at the current stage of multilingual countries’ development. At the conference, it is proposed to look at the research object – languages in multiethnic countries – from the angle of projections of the future, paying special attention to global and local trends, prospects and scenarios of linguistic development of these countries, regions, and local communities.
We particularly encourage submissions relevant to the following topics:
- languages and multiethnic countries in current conditions: new practices and challenges for sociolinguistic theory;
- global and local trends in the linguistic development of multiethnic countries;
- methods for studying linguistic processes: scenarios, prognostic and other quantitative and qualitative methods;
- socio-cultural incentives and limitations of prognosis of language processes in multiethnic countries;
- language policy and prospects of the languages of the Russian Federation and other countries;
- strategies and programs for language maintenance in the Russian Federation: federal and regional levels;
- language conflicts and assessment of language conflict potential.
Other topics related to the problems and prospects of linguistic development of multiethnic countries are also possible.
The conference will be held in a hybrid format (offline participation and online participation via Zoom). The languages of the conference are Russian and English.
The costs of participation in the conference are borne by the sending party or participant of the conference.
The Organizing Committee reserves the right to select the submitted articles according to the topic and format of the conference. There is an opportunity to publish selected articles in the peer-reviewed journal Sociolinguistics.
- the title (it will be included in the conference program)
- conference papers containing: 1) short description of your research, 2) main goals, research questions, methodology and results of your research, 3) references
- name, affiliation and contact information of the author/authors
Paper submission style
- 20, 000 – 40, 000 characters (including references)
- Times New Roman, TNR 14
- Line spacing 1,5
Submission deadline: 20th October 2023
We will notify about paper acceptance by 1st November 2023