In 1993, Natalia Ufimtseva was awarded the title of Associate Professor at the Department of General Psychology and Psycholinguistics at Moscow State Linguistic University. In 1996, she was awarded the title of Professor at the Department of Psycholinguistics at Moscow State Linguistic University. Natalia Ufimtseva is a winner of Presidential Prize in Education.
She holds a title of Honorary Professor of Harbin Normal University.
Natalia Ufimtseva graduated from Leningrad State University with a degree in computational linguistics in 1970. In 1976, she defended her PhD thesis “Lingvističeskij i psixolingvističeskij analiz struktury padežnoj sistemy” [Linguistic and psycholinguistic analysis of the system of grammatical cases]. In 1994, she defended her Dr. habil. thesis “Dinamika i variativnost’ jazykovogo soznanija” [Dynamics and flexibility of linguistic consciousness].Natalia Ufimtseva has been working at the Institute of Linguistics since 1971. She started as a Junior Researcher but worked her way up to the positions of Chief Researcher, Head of Section of Ethnopsycholinguistics, Head of the Research and Education Centre of Intercultural Studies.
Natalia Ufimtseva is considered one of the leading Russian specialists in psycholinguistics and one of the founders of the Moscow School of Psycholinguistics. Natalia Ufimtseva's research interests include: the issues of linguistic consciousness, the ontogenesis of language ability, language as activity-oriented structure, ethnopsycholinguistics. For the last 20 years, Natalia Ufimtseva has been studying the issues of native speaker’s linguistic consciousness, as well as building a model of the world image of a native speaker of the Russian language. She conducts experimental research both in Russia and abroad.The compilation of associative dictionaries and databases of various languages is a significant aspect of Natalia Ufimtseva’s academic work. She was one of the founders of the Russian Associative Dictionary, which was awarded the prize of the President of the Russian Federation. Throughout the years, she has contributed to the creation of Slavic (2004), Polish (2008), and French (2010) associative dictionaries. Since 2013, she has been working on Chinese-Russian associative dictionary. Natalia Ufimtseva also supervises the compilation of a unique multi-volume Russian regional associative dictionary.Natalia Ufimtseva is actively involved in scientific and organizational work in the field of psycholinguistics. She was a member of organizing committees of 15 international symposia on psycholinguistics and communication theory, and a number of nationwide conferences. For 15 years, Natalia Ufimtseva has presided over an all-Russia academic seminar “Language, consciousness, culture”, 8 volumes of its papers having been published under her supervision. It is due to this seminar that the notion of linguistic consciousness gained recognition and became widely-used in academic circles. Since 2016, Natalia Ufimtseva has been the Head of the Research and Education Centre of Intercultural Studies named after Alexey A. Leontiev at the Department of Psycholinguistics.Natalia Ufimtseva is a co-creator and deputy editor of the “Journal of Psycholinguistics” – the first official journal of the Russian psycholinguistic community which is included in the list of scientific journals recommended by the Higher Attestation Commission.
Natalia Ufimtseva is also a member of the editorial council of the following scientific journals:
- “Žurnalistika i kul’tura russkoj reči” [Journalism and culture of the Russian speech] (published by the Faculty of Journalism of Moscow State University);
- “MMA Bulletin”;
- “Biznes. Občšestvo. Vlast’” [Business. Society. Government] (online journal of the HSE University);
- “Homo Loquens” (Georgia).
Natalia Ufimtseva is a regular member of the Institute of Linguistics Dissertation Council; she constantly maintains opposing arguments in thesis defense procedures.
Natalia Ufimtseva is a co-founder and a member of the board of directors of All-Russian Society of Psycholinguists. Since 1989, she has been a member of the International Society of Applied Psycholinguistics, of which she was President (2011-2013) and Vice President (2014-2016).
Natalia Ufimtseva actively takes part in grant programs of the Russian Foundation for Humanities, Russian Foundation for Basic Research, and Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation.
- "Leading scientific school "Russian language identity"", 2012-2013, principal co-investigator.
- "Information and research base of contemporary Russian language", 2012-2014, principal investigator.
- "Leading scientific school "Russian language identity"", 2014-2015, principal co-investigator.
- Chinese state grant, 2013-2015, project participant
- "Areas of conflict in linguistic consciousness of Russians, the Komi, the Yakuts, the Tatars, and the Buryats: interlinguistic parallels", 2015-2017, principal investigator.
- "Regional linguistic consciousness of the Komi, Russians, and the Tatars: the issues of interrelations", 2015-2017, principal investigator.
28 PhD and 4 Dr.habil. theses were successfully defended under Natalia Ufimtseva's academic supervision. At present, Natalia Ufimtseva supervises 4 postgraduate students.
In the Media
Within the work of the Research and Education Centre of Intercultural Studies named after Alexey A. Leontiev, Natalia Ufimtseva organizes open educational seminars. Video recordings of the seminars can be found here:
Natalia Ufimtseva has published over 230 academic papers, including monographs, associative dictionaries, and electronic databases. A complete list of publications (in Russian) can be found here.
- Ufimceva N.V. Jazykovoe soznanie: dinamika i variativnost’ [Dynamics and flexibility of linguistic consciousness]. – Moscow, Kaluga: Institut jazykoznanija RAN, 2011. – 252 s. ISBN 978-5-905697-03-6
- Ufimceva N.V. (Neo)psixolingvistika i (psixo)lingvokul’turologija: novye nauki o čeloveke govorjačšem [(Neo)psycholinguistics and (psycho)linguistic cultural studies: new disciplines studying Homo Loquencs. Moscow: Gnozis, 2017.
- Regional’noe jazykovoe soznanie komi, russkix, tatar: problemy vzaimovlijanija [Regional linguistic consciousness of the Komi, Russians, and the Tatars: the issues of interrelations]. Ufimceva N.V., Čerkasova G.A., Baljasnikova O.V., Poljanskaja A.G., Razumkova A.V., Svinčukova E.G., Stepanova A.A. Kollektivnaja monografija/ Pod red. N.V. Ufimcevoj. – Moscow-Jaroslavl’: Izdatel’stvo Kancler, 2017. – 240 s.
- Ufimtseva N. V. The Associative Dictionary as a Model of the Linguistic Picture of the World // Procedia. Social and Behavioral Sciences, 2014, v. 154, p. 36-44, ISSN 1877-0428.
- Ufimtseva, Natalia V. Russian Psycholinguistics: Contribution to the Theory of Intercultural Communication // International communication studies, vol. XXIII:1, 2014, p. 1-13 (ISSN 1057 7769, indexed in EBSCO).
- Ufimtseva, Natalia V. Russian Psycholinguistics: the Contribution to the Theory of Intercultural Communication// The 19th International Conference of the International Association for Intercultural Communication Studies “Exploring Diversity to reach Understanding across Cultures”, Vladivostok, Russia, October 3-5, 2013, Conference handbook. p. 18.
- Ufimtseva N. Picture of the World – Image of the World – Language Consciousness//11th International Congress of the International Society of applied Psycholinguistics, 27-30 June 2016, Proceedings, Tbilisi, Georgia, 2016, p. 20-21.
- Balyasnikova O., Stepanova A., Razumkova F., Tcherkasova G., Ufimtseva N. Language and identity//11th International Congress of the International Society of applied Psycholinguistics, 27-30 June 2016, Proceedings, Tbilisi, Georgia, 2016, p. 37-38