Researcher, Department of Ural-Altaic Languages
Employed at the Institute of Linguistics since 2012.
Vyacheslav Khoninov was born on September 9, 1980, in Buruny, Astrakhan Oblast. He graduated from Kalmyk State University, Faculty of Kalmyk Philology and Culture, "Kalmyk language and culture, Russian language and culture" major, in 2002. Applied to the Institute of Linguistics RAS for his postgraduate studies in the same year. Received the "RAS Best Postgraduate Student" award in 2004-2005. Earned his PhD degree in 2005, thesis Kalmyckie toponimy Astraxanskoj oblasti: semantika, struktura [Kalmyk toponyms of Astrakhan Oblast: semantics, structure]. He later applied to the Institute for his doctoral studies. Served as Research Assistant at the Department of Kalmyk Language and Mongolian Studies in 2006-2008. Employed at the Department of Ural-Altaic Languages as a Researcher since 2012. Research interests: vocabulary, onomastics (anthroponymy, toponymy, zoonymy, cosmonymy) of the Mongolic languages. Presently participates in the development of the Great Russian-Mongolian dictionary in four volumes. Vyacheslav Khoninov is now in the process of writing his Dr.habil. thesis, Onomastika sovremennoj Kalmykii [Onomastics of modern Kalmykia]. Engaged in fieldwork to gather relevant materials in 2007-2013 in the Republic of Kalmykia, Mongolia, and the Kyrgyz Republic. The conclusions of the studies were presented in Russian and international conferences. Khoninov has published over 50 academic papers, including three monographs; "Kalmyk personal names" (2009), "Kalmyk toponymy: linguistic and cultural aspects" (2010), "Хальмг улсин hазр-усна нерд" (2012).
Grants and research projects:
- Development of a learner's Kalmyk-Russian-English dictionary of spoken language. Principal investigator Mushaev V.; project participants Golubeva E., Khoninov V., Shanaeva L., Ubushaeva B. 2013-2014.
- The toponymic space of the Republic of Kalmykia. Principal investigator Gedeeva D.; project participants Barinova B., Khoninov V., Lidzhieva L., Ubushieva B. 2013.
- Linguistic cognitive study of the Kalmyk folklore. Principal investigator Golubeva E.; project participant Khoninov V. 2012-2013.
In the media:
Delivers speeches in the media of the Republic of Kalmykia (newspapers and TV programs) on the subject of preservation and development of the Kalmyk language and the Kalmyk writing.
- Xoninov, V.. Хальмг улсин һазр-усна нерд. Moscow, 2012. P. 134.
- Mušaev, V., Golubeva, E., Xoninov, V., Šanaeva, L. & Ubušaeva, B. Kalmycko-russko-anglijskij učebnyj slovar’ razgovornoj reči [A learner's Kalmyk-Russian-English dictionary of spoken language]. Èlista, 2014. P. 90.
- Khoninov, V. & Balinova, N. Studying the Issyk-Kul Kalmyk Ethnic Group // Anthropology & Archeology of Eurasia. Volume 53, Issue 4, 2014. P. 47-55.
- Xoninov, V., Pjurbeev, G., Dambueva, P., Batmunx, B., Davaasupèn, B., Dondov, È., Dorž, D., Tomtogtox, G., Unuržargal, G. & Čuluunbat, A. Bol’šoj akademičeskij russko-mongol’skij slovar’ [The Great academic Russian-Mongolian dictionary]. Vol. 4. Moscow, Nauka – Vostočnaja literatura, 2017. P. 606.
- Xoninov, V., Mušaev, V., Golubeva, E., Ubušaeva, B. & Antopkina, N. Mnogoznačnost’. Voprosy teorii i praktika [Polysemy. Theoretical questions and practice]. Èlista, Kalmyk State University, 2018. P. 126.