We welcome abstracts both for this special session or for the general session. For the general session we invite abstracts on any topic pertaining to language contact in the circumpolar region, including but not limited to:
- language change conditioned by language contact,
- mixed languages,
- linguistic areas or Sprachbund’s,
- reconstructing the past through linguistic data,
- patterns of traditional or modern multilingualism,
- sociolinguistic details of modern or historic language contact,
- northern varieties of larger languages that are not restricted to the region (e.g. dialects of Russian, Swedish, English, etc.),
- cartography of language contact areas,
- methodology of language contact studies which takes into account specific features of the region.
The deadline for abstract submission is June 1, 2019. Notifications of acceptance or non-acceptance will be sent via email by the end of May. Please submit an anonymous abstract of no more than 1 page (excluding references) by email to email@example.com; include a title, authors, and affiliations in your email; indicate whether your abstract is intended for the general session or the special session ‘Typology of linguistic areas’.
The conference is organized by a research group on Language Contact in the Circumpolar World at the Institute of Linguistics, see the project website for more details.