Research Assistant, Section of Typology
employed at the Institute since 2022
In 2023, Yury received a B.A. with distinction in fundamental and computational linguistics from HSE University in Moscow.
Since 2020, he has been teaching Russian grammar and linguistic typology to high school students. In 2021–2023, he was employed as teaching assistant in the courses on Persian and phonetics&phonology at HSE University.
- phonological typology
- Iranian languages
- English phonetics
- Since 2020 — coordinator of the Shughni Documentation Project.
- Since 2022 — organizer of the Research seminar on Iranian languages.
- Yury has been on a few field trips to the Pamir Mountains to study the Shughni language.
- Yury also develops lexicographic platform OnLex, which hosts the dictionaries of Persian (iranic.space), Ossetic (ossetic.iranic.space) and several Pamir (pamiri.online) languages.
- Makarov, Y. (2022). The Answer is Blowin’ in the Wind: What is It in Shughni That Contributes to the Typology of Final Laryngeal Neutralization? In Proceedings of the 19th Conference on Typology and Grammar for Young Scholars. https://dx.doi.org/10.30842/9785604799895
- Makarov, Y., Melenchenko, M., & Novokshanov, D. (2022). Digital Resources for the Shughni Language. In Proceedings of The Workshop on Resources and Technologies for Indigenous, Endangered and Lesser-Resourced Languages in Eurasia within the 13th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, 61–64.
- Makarov, Y. Y. (2022). [Review of:] B. Sands (ed.). Click consonants. Leiden; Boston: Brill, 2020. Voprosy Jazykoznanija, 2, 157–162. https://doi.org/10.31857/0373-658X.2022.2.157-162