Section of Theoretical Linguistics and the Yuri Stepanov Center for Theory and Practice of Communication, Institute of Linguistics, Russian Academy of Sciences are happy to invite you to the Language – Text – Meaning Readings in memoriam Dr. Maxim I. Shapir on the occasion of his 60th birthday
Maxim Shapir was a scholar of many skills, contributing to linguistics, philology, semiotics, and literary criticism. Working with the boundless universe of academic thought of various epochs and eras, he would combine features of a traditionalist and an innovator, an empiricist, a theoretician, and a methodologist. Understanding his works and views on poetics and philology, both theoretical and applied, shall open up new vistas and directions for the contemporary studies of language.
Topics for discussion on the Memorial Readings include:
- Languages of spiritual culture: “language of verbal art, language of religion, and language of science.”
- World of the verse. The verse as the universe of meanings.
- Material, form, and content: “the distinct and the inseparable.”
- Interaction between semantics and semiotics. The textual semiosis.
- The Linguistic, the Poetic, and the Aesthetic in text and communication.
- Between poetics and pragmatics: the pragmatics of artistic discourse.
The Shapir Readings will take place in the Institute of Linguistics, Russian Academy of Sciences, from 6 to 7 September 2022.
Format of the Readings
- Both on-site and online participation (via ZOOM).
- Languages: Russian, English.
- Proceedings will be published online and indexed in the Russian Science Citation Index (RSCI).
Important dates and contact information
- Topic submission deadline: 15 July 2022.
- Notification of acceptance will be delivered before 20 July 2022.
If you wish to receive a Zoom link to the conference or have any other questions related to the Readings please contact Maria Kovshova.